The holidays are upon us. You might have begun wondering what gifts your favorite Federal employee might want. From an insider’s perspective, we have suggestions! Over the next few days we offer a wishlist of gifts for your teleworking-Fed, stressed-out-Fed, and others! Today, we will suggest gifts for a health-focused employees in the government.
With few exceptions, employees in the government spend a lot of time at their desks. It takes a fair amount of special effort to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
But, before you get your handy credit card out, remember there’s some very specific rules that all Federal employees must abide by when receiving gifts. For this reason, we’ll split the gift options out by under $10, under $20, and Personal/Family relationship. For more details about the rules of gift-giving in the government, a good place to look is at the Department of Justice Do It Right page.
Gifts for a health-focused employee under $10
- 26.2 Marathon Race Stainless Steel Runner Shoelace Charm. Many marathon runners put a 26.2 sticker in their car window. Why not give the gift of this small running shoe charm that goes with them on every run as a reminder to themselves of their accomplishment? Or, if your fed is working their way up to a full marathon there’s also charms for 5k, 10k, and so on.
- Bracelet: You’re Braver Stronger Smarter than you think. This gift can have a dual meaning. This bracelet can speak to their dedication to their health and their strength, bravery, or wit in the workplace.
- Kangaroo Reusable Water Bottle with Storage Compartment. Have someone on your list that runs on their lunch break? This water bottle not only keeps them hydrated, it also gives them a safe place to keep their badge to get back into the building after their run.
Gifts for a health-focused employee under $20
- The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs. Not for the weak of heart, this is more of a gag gift for someone who surfs web-MD for fun.
- Triathlete Cufflinks. Have someone on your list who takes their workplace fashion as seriously as they do their workouts? Why not get them a unique set of cuff links that reflect their love of triathlons?
- Hide and Seek Runaway Alarm Clock. With the new year coming up, perhaps the person you’re buying for needs a little help with getting up for the gym in the morning. A playfully tough gym-master is this alarm clock that makes you catch it before you can hit snooze.
Gifts for a health-focused employee for personal/family relationships over $20
- Oster My Blend with Travel Sport Bottle. Perhaps you have someone on your list that can’t do without their protein or green smoothie in the morning. This is an efficient way to get their vitamins without creating extra dirty dishes.
- DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike. Many of us have the best of intentions to get up and take periodic walking breaks. If your health focused Fed is someone who can’t tear themselves away from their desks even for a quick walk, this desk cycle is one way they can still get their exercise in.
- Height Adjustable Sit/Stand Desk Computer Riser, Dual Monitor Capable. Not many agencies are able to provide standing desks employees who request them. However, if you know a health focused fed then you probably know that sitting is the new smoking. In other words, sitting for extended periods of time is said to be very unhealthy. This riser gives the Fed on your gift list a way to convert their standard issue desk to a standing desk – potentially adding years to their lives.